Doesn't even the most basic definition of bread involve, well, grain?
Yes. And all of my homemade bread recipes involve all kinds of combinations of grains. Rice. Quinoa. Oat...
Grain Free Bread (Almond Coconut Flour Bread)
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp xylitol (you can use honey or sugar as well)
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350* F and grease a *slightly smaller glass loaf pan* with coconut oil.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well. Add lemon and eggs and mix well. Start with the 1/2 cup water and mix until the dough resembles a stiff cake batter.
- Scoop batter into the loaf pan and smooth with wet finger or a wet spatula. Don't worry, it will rise and fill more of the pan, I promise. Bake for 35 minutes.
- Allow to cool. Slice in pan. Keep covered when stored.
This bread blew me away in the fact that unlike so many of the gluten free breads it continued to stay moist until the very last slice, about a week! If you know gluten free bread, that is a miracle!
Also, this is not a sweet bread. If you like your stuff more on the sweet side, double the sweetener, or top with raw organic honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon (my preference)!
** Here is what I mean about the slightly smaller loaf pan. Although both pans say 1.5 quart, this loaf was
baked in pan on the left. It looks slightly more narrow than the one on the right. Am I crazy? By about an inch. I bake all my gluten free loaves in this smaller pan because they tend to get a better rise.